Name: Robert Michael Gates
Date of Birth: September 23, 1943
GW Bush/Obama Administrations Position:
- Secretary of Defense (December 18, 2006-June 30, 2011)
War Crime Charges:
- Prosecuting a war of aggression
- Bombing civilian populations
- Directed illegal kidnapping and torture
- Gates has joined Condoleezza Rice and Stephen J. Hadley in their strategic consulting firm. The move reunites the Bush-era foreign policy team.The firm, RiceHadley, will now be known as RiceHadleyGates and will continue to advise companies about doing business in emerging markets like the Middle East, China, Brazil, India and Turkey.
- Gates has been a member of the board of trustees of Fidelity Investments and on the board of directors of NACCO Industries, Inc., Brinker International, Inc., Parker Drilling Company, Science Applications International Corporation and VoteHere, a technology company which sought to provide cryptography and computer software security for the electronic election industry.
- Gates will be working on two books: a memoir and a volume on leadership.
Robert Gates is a former Director of the CIA (1991-1993). He has a long history of politicizing intelligence. Gates was implicated in the Iran-Contra scandal and is considered the "father" of Al Qaeda - he formed the Arab Legion, a young Al Qaeda fighting force, in Afghanistan to fight the Soviets.